The Austin School Board is a policy-making body responsible for the district's curriculum, personnel, and physical facilities. Please review this Policy Governance Handbook to better understand the School Board's work.
Policy Governance Model
As elected representatives on the Austin School Board, members make decisions about the district's policies, programs, people, and infrastructure. To provide the greatest possible education for all of our students, they keep the best interests of our school district in mind. Our new video highlights how the School Board's policy governance model operates.
School Board Meetings
The public is invited and encouraged to attend School Board meetings. Regular School Board meetings are held at 5:30 pm in the AHS Annex Recital Hall at 205 4th St NW. Please enter through Annex Door #1. Meeting dates are noted in the calendar. Please call 507-460-1900 with any questions concerning school board meetings.
The meeting agenda is posted on the district web site and in the Superintendent's Office at 401 Third Avenue NW three days prior to each meeting. School Board minutes are also posted on the district web site and published regularly in the Austin Daily Herald. The meetings are livestreamed on the APS YouTube channel and the link will be made available in the meeting agenda as well as via social media. Please note only regular monthly meetings are livestreamed (this does not include study sessions).
During each Regular School Board meeting, the Board will allow members of the audience to address the Board. Please observe the following guidelines:
- Notify the Chairperson of the Board or Secretary that you wish to address the Board.
- The speaker is asked to identify him/herself by name and, if he/she represents an organization, to name the group. Remarks should be addressed to the Board as a whole.
- Each presentation will be limited to five (5) minutes.
- Delegations must be represented by not more than three (3) spokespersons, with the same five (5) minute limitations for each.
- The School Board will not hear complaints about individual school employees or permit discussion of such matters in an Open Meeting. Charges or complaints of such nature shall be presented in writing to school administration and signed by the person making the complaint. Thereafter, such discussion shall be conducted in a Closed Meeting pursuant to the Open Meeting Law.
- The Chairperson of the Board may terminate the right of any speaker to continue should they be accompanied by people whose behavior is improper.
- No response, reaction, nor action shall necessarily be taken by the Board during the Delegations / Public Comment portion of the meeting.
Communicating with the School Board
As your elected representatives, School Board members welcome questions and conversations related to governing the District. Board members actively participate in many areas throughout the community, attending advisory council meetings, serving on committees, and attending school and community meetings and events. Board members welcome invitations to your events and will make an effort to attend.
There are formal and informal opportunities to communicate with the School Board as a whole and with individual Board members.
- Email: If you wish to communicate with the entire Board and submit questions, comments, suggestions, concerns, or compliments, please email: SchoolBoardTeam@austin.k12.mn.us. All Board members and the superintendent will receive your correspondence; the Board Chair or Superintendent will respond to emails on behalf of the Board. Email addresses are published on the School Board home page if you wish to contact individual Board members.
- Telephone: For more complex or emotional topics, a phone call or face-to-face meeting may be most effective. Board member phone numbers are published on the School Board webpage.
- Public Meetings: The Board meets at least monthly to conduct business and provide opportunities for public input. You can also make comments to the School Board at Regular Meetings.
School Board Meeting Schedule
All regular meetings begin at 5:30 p.m. (unless noted) and are held in the AHS Annex Recital Hall at 205 4th St NW (unless noted). The agenda is posted on the website three days prior to each meeting.