Policy 212 - Board Member Development
In recognition of the need for continuing in-service training and development for its members, the purpose of this policy is to encourage the members of the school board to participate in professional development activities designed for them so that they may perform their responsibilities.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
- New school board members will be provided the opportunity and encouragement to attend the orientation and training sessions sponsored by the Minnesota School Boards Association.
- All school board members are encouraged to participate in school board and related workshops and activities sponsored by local, state and national school boards associations, as well as in the activities of other educational groups.
- School board members are expected to report back to the school board with materials of interest gathered at the various meetings and workshops.
- The school board will reimburse the necessary expenses of all school board members who attend meetings and conventions pertaining to school activities and the objectives of the school board, within the approved policy and budget allocations of the school district relating to the reimbursement of expenses involving the attendance at workshops and conventions.
III. SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER DEVELOPMENT - PROCEDURES
- Board members shall be limited to attending, at school district expense, one national convention during a four-year term.
- In the event no other board member wished to attend the national conference, a board member previously attending may do so.
- Minn. Stat. § 123B.09, Subd. 2 (School board member training)
Policy Adopted: 07/08/02
Policy Reviewed: 08/09/10
Policy Reviewed: 6/10/13
Policy Reviewed: 1/12/15
Policy Reviewed: 9/11/17