Policy 215 - Out of State Travel by School Board Members
The purpose of this policy is to control out-of-state travel by school board members as required by law.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
School board members have an obligation to become informed on the proper duties and functions of a school board member, to become familiar with issues that may affect the school district, to acquire a basic understanding of school finance and budgeting, and to acquire sufficient knowledge to comply with federal, state and local laws, rules, regulations and school district policies that relate to their functions as school board members. Occasionally, it may be appropriate for school board members to travel out of state to fulfill their obligations.
III. APPROPRIATE TRAVEL
Travel outside the state is appropriate when the school board finds it proper for school board members to acquire knowledge and information necessary to allow them to carry out their responsibilities as school board members. Travel to regional or national meetings of the National School Boards Association is presumed to fulfill this purpose. Travel to other out-of-state meetings for which the member intends to seek reimbursement from the school district should be preapproved by the school board.
IV. REIMBURSABLE EXPENSES
Expenses to be reimbursed may include transportation, meals, lodging, registration fees, required materials, parking fees, and other reasonable and necessary school district related expenses. The reimbursable amounts to be determined by school board policy 412.
- Requests for reimbursement must be itemized on the official school district form and are to be submitted to the designated administrator. Receipts for lodging, commercial transportation, registration, and other reasonable and necessary expenses must be attached to the reimbursement form.
- Automobile travel shall be reimbursed at the mileage rate set by the school board. Commercial transportation shall reflect economy fares and shall be reimbursed only for the actual cost of the trip.
- Amounts to be reimbursed shall be within the school board’s approved budget allocations, including attendance at workshops and conventions.
VI. ESTABLISHMENT OF DIRECTIVES AND GUIDELINES
The superintendent shall use standard district rates for reimbursement of school district business expenses, including those expenses requiring advance approval and specific rates of reimbursement.
VII. ANNUAL REVIEW
This policy must be annually reviewed by the school board.
- Minn. Stat. § 123B.09, Subd. 2 (School Board Member Training)
- Minn. Stat. § 471.661 (Out-of-State Travel)
- Minn. Stat. § 471.665 (Mileage Allowances)
- Minn. Op. Atty. Gen. No. 1035 (August 23, 1999) (Retreat Expenses)
- Minn. Op. Atty. Gen. No. 161b-12 (August 4, 1997) (Transportation Expenses)
Policy Adopted: 10/09/06
Policy Reviewed: 09/08/08
Policy Revised: 01/10/11
Policy Reviewed: 6/10/13
Policy Reviewed: 1/12/15
Policy Reviewed: 9/11/17