Policy 412 - Expense Reimbursement
[Note: School districts are required by statute to have a policy addressing these issues.]
The purpose of this policy is to identify school district business expenses that involve initial payment by an employee and qualify for reimbursement from the school district, and to specify the manner by which the employee seeks reimbursement.
All school district business expenses to be reimbursed must be approved by the supervising administrator. Such expenses to be reimbursed may include transportation, meals, lodging, registration fees, required materials, parking fees, tips, and other reasonable and necessary school district business-related expenses.
- Requests for reimbursement must be itemized on the official school district form and are to be submitted to the designated administrator. Receipts for lodging, commercial transportation, registration, and other reasonable and necessary expenses must be attached to the reimbursement form.
- Automobile travel shall be reimbursed at the mileage rate set by the school board. Commercial transportation shall reflect economy fares and shall be reimbursed only for the actual cost of the trip.
IV. AIRLINE TRAVEL CREDIT
- Employees utilizing school district funds to pay for airline travel are required to ensure that any credits or other benefits issued by any airline accrue to the benefit of the school district rather than the employee.
- To the extent an airline will not honor a transfer or assignment of credit or benefit from the employee to the school district, the employee shall report receipt of the credit or benefit to the designated administrator within 90 days of receipt of the credit or benefit.
- Reports of the receipt of an airline credit or benefit shall be made in writing and shall include verification from the airline as to the credit or benefit received. Reimbursement for airline travel expenses will not be made until such documentation is provided.
- Employees who have existing credits or benefits issued by an airline based upon previously reimbursed airline travel for school district purposes will be required to utilize those credits or benefits toward any subsequent airline travel related to school district purposes, prior to reimbursement for such travel, to the extent permitted and/or feasible.
- The requirements of this section apply to all airline travel, regardless of where or how the tickets are purchased.
V. ESTABLISHMENT OF DIRECTIVES AND GUIDELINES
The superintendent shall develop a schedule of reimbursement rates for school district
business expenses, including those expenses requiring advance approval and specific
rates of reimbursement. The superintendent shall also develop directives and guidelines
to address methods and times for submission of requests for reimbursement.
- Minn. Stat. § 15.435 (Airline Travel Credit)
- Minn. Stat. § 471.665 (Mileage Allowances)
- Minn. Op. Atty. Gen. 1035 (Aug. 23, 1999) (Retreat Expenses)
- Minn. Op. Atty. Gen. 161b-12 (Aug. 4, 1997) (Transportation Expenses)
- Minn. Op. Atty. Gen. 161B-12 (Jan. 24, 1989) (Operating Expenses of Car)
- MSBA/MASA Model Policy 214 (Out-of-State Travel by School Board Members)
Policy Adopted: 10/24/05
Policy Reviewed: 03/14/11
Policy Reviewed: 09/09/13
Policy Reviewed: 04/13/15
Policy Revised: 03/12/18
Policy Reviewed: 12/14/20