Policy 510 - School Activities
The purpose of this policy is to impart to students, employees, and the community the school district’s policy related to the student activity program.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
School activities provide additional opportunities for students to pursue special interests that contribute to their physical, mental, and emotional well-being. They are of secondary importance in relationship to the formal instructional program; however, they complement the instructional program in providing students with additional opportunities for growth and development.
- The school board expects all students who participate in school-sponsored activities to represent the school and community in a responsible manner. All rules pertaining to student conduct and student discipline extend to school activities.
- The school board expects all spectators at school sponsored activities, including parents, employees, and other members of the public, to behave in an appropriate manner at those activities. Students and employees may be subject to discipline and parents and other spectators may be subject to sanctions for engaging in misbehavior or inappropriate, illegal, or unsportsmanlike behavior at these activities or events.
- The superintendent shall be responsible for disseminating information needed to inform students, parents, staff, and the community of the opportunities available within the school activity program and the rules of participation.
- Those students who participate in Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) activities must also abide by the league rules. Those employees who conduct MSHSL activities shall be responsible for familiarizing students and parents with all applicable rules, penalties, and opportunities.
- The superintendent shall be responsible for conducting an annual evaluation of school activity programs and presenting the results and any recommendations to the school board.
- The school board will ensure that any funds raised for extracurricular activities will be spent only on extracurricular activities.
- Minn. Stat. § 123B.49 (Extracurricular Activities; Insurance)
- Cross References: MSBA/MASA Model Policy 503 (Student Attendance)
- MSBA/MASA Model Policy 506 (Student Discipline)
- MSBA/MASA Model Policy 713 (Student Activity Accounting)
Policy Adopted: 7/25/02
Policy Reviewed: 04/09/12
Policy Reviewed 12/9/13
Policy Reviewed: 9/14/15
Policy Reviewed: 8/13/18
Policy Updated: 04/12/21