Policy 518 - DNR-DNI Orders
The school district recognizes that it is serving students with complex health needs. The school district also recognizes that school district staff may be confronted with requests to withhold emergency care of a student in the event of a life threatening situation at school or school activities or be presented with Do Not Resuscitate/Do Not Intubate (DNR-DNI) orders. The purpose of this policy is to provide guidance to school district staff and parents or guardians in these situations.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
- The primary mission of the school district is education. DNR-DNI Orders are medical documents. School district staff will not accept or honor requests to withhold emergency care or DNR-DNI orders. The school district will not convey such orders to emergency medical personnel.
- School district staff will provide reasonable emergency care and assistance when a student is undergoing a medical emergency during school or school activities.
- School district staff will activate emergency medical services (911) as soon as possible when a student is undergoing a medical emergency during school or school activities.
- The parent/guardian will be notified of the emergency as soon as possible.
- Notwithstanding this school district policy, IEP and Section 504 teams must develop individualized medical emergency care plans for students when appropriate in accordance with state and federal law.
- Parents/guardians who request that emergency care be withheld for their child or who present DNR-DNI Orders, shall be advised of and shall be given a copy of this policy.
- 29 U.S.C. § 794 et seq. (Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973)
- 42 U.S.C. §§ 12101-12213 (Americans with Disabilities Act)
Policy Adopted: 2/14/05
Policy Reviewed: 04/09/12
Policy Reviewed: 01/13/14
Policy Reviewed: 11/9/15
Policy Reviewed: 9/10/18