Policy 535 - Early Entrance and Grade Acceleration
The purpose of this policy is to provide procedures for the consideration of early entrance for students in kindergarten and grade acceleration for students in grades 1-8.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
The school board will allow early school entrance and grade acceleration. The following steps will be followed prior to the school district’s decision regarding each individual student case.
- Early Entrance: Students who have met the criteria set by the Austin Public Schools will be allowed to enter kindergarten early. The decision made by the administration shall be final.
- Grade Acceleration: Students who have met the criteria set by the Austin Public Schools will be allowed to accelerate.
Policy Adopted: 12/9/02
Policy Reviewed and Renumbered from 514 to 534: 12/9/13
Policy Updated: 1/11/16
Policy Renumbered from 534 to 535: 8/14/17
Policy Reviewed: 11/13/18
- Early Entrance
- The parent initiates the request with the elementary principal in whose attendance area the child resides. All requests should be submitted by April 1. Parents will be notified regarding the dispensation of the request no later than June 15.
- The building principal will arrange a pre-assessment interview involving himself/herself, the central office designee, the parent, and a kindergarten teacher. The primary purpose of the interview is to assemble data on the child such as the child’s birth date, preschool experiences, and any other information which might be needed in order to arrive at an eventual decision.
- The parents may be asked to provide a psychologist’s recommendation based on achievement and ability testing. The parents are responsible for all costs incurred to secure the recommendation.
- After the parent has submitted the necessary data to the building principal, the principal, teacher, and central office designee will meet to determine the findings of the collected data and to make a decision regarding the request for early entrance.
- The building principal and central office designee will then meet with the parent and relate their decision OR
- The child does not meet the age requirement for kindergarten, but has transferred from a state in which he/she did meet the age requirements and was previously enrolled. The parent will need to provide verification of enrollment from the previous district.
- Grade Acceleration
It is the procedure of the Austin Public Schools to allow grade acceleration providing that the elementary and middle school student meets the following criteria:
- The parent initiates the request with the building principal in whose attendance area the child resides. All requests should be submitted by April 1. Parents will be notified regarding the dispensation of the request no later than June 15.
- The building principal will arrange a meeting with himself/herself, the parent, the student’s teacher(s), the central office designee and if applicable the building principal of the next level.
- The purpose of the meeting will be to gather data regarding the student’s current achievement and abilities. It may be necessary to request further testing in order to make a decision. If that is the case, the parent is responsible for any costs incurred in this process.
- After all necessary data has been collected the building principal, teacher(s), and the central office designee will make a decision as to whether the student shall be accelerated. The building principal is responsible for communicating the decision to the parent.
- If the student meets the criteria set by the district, it will be necessary for the student to demonstrate competencies of the grade level(s) that will be missed.
Reviewed and Renumbered from 514 to 534: 12/9/13
Policy Updated: 1/11/16
Renumbered from 534 to 535: 8/14/17