Policy 607 - Organization of Grade Levels
The purpose of this policy is to address the grade level organization of schools within the school district.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
- The policy of the school district is to address the groupings of grade levels as recognized in Minn. Stat. § 120A.05, as follows:
- Elementary: Grades prekindergarten through 4
- Middle: Grades 5 - 8
- Secondary: Grades 9 - 12
- The superintendent may seek school board approval to administer certain programs on a nongraded basis or a design different from that indicated. Program proposals that seek school board approval must meet all state requirements and reflect the rationale for the modification.
- The school district may request documentation that verifies a student falls within the school’s minimum and maximum age requirements for admission to publicly funded prekindergarten, preschool, kindergarten, or grades 1 through 12. Documentation may include a passport, a hospital birth record or physician’s certificate, a baptismal or religious certificate, an adoption record, health records, immunization records, immigration records, previously verified school records, early childhood screening records, Minnesota Immunization Information Connection records, or an affidavit from a parent.
- “Kindergarten” means a program designed for students five years of age on September 1 of the calendar year in which the school year commences that prepares students to enter first grade the following school year.
- “Prekindergarten” means a program designed for students younger than five years of age on September 1 of the calendar year in which the school year commences that prepares students to enter kindergarten the following school year.
- Minn. Stat. § 120A.05, Subds. 9, 10a, 11, 13, 17 (Public Schools)
- Minn. Stat. § 120A.20, Subd. 4 (Verification of Age for Admission to Public School)
- Minn. Stat. § 123B.02, Subd. 2 (General Powers of Independent School Districts)
Policy Adopted: 03/08/04
Policy Reviewed: 2/8/16
Policy Reviewed: 1/14/19
Policy Updated: 8/9/21